This Hawthorne workers cottage renovation was designed to enhance the existing charm of this 1910 character home and deal with the busy road frontage. The renovation created a home with five bedrooms, a study, two living areas, three bathrooms, a double garage, and a large entertainment deck.
The first floor was reorganised to relocate the kitchen to the southern/rear end of the home. The living areas were also moved to the back of the home, creating a greater indoor-outdoor relationship between these spaces and the deck. A new pavilion-style extension enables this home to capitalise on the beautiful view at the back of the house. The roofline over the deck needed to be cleaned up to improve the indoor-outdoor connection visually. The extension includes a new main bedroom, ensuite and walk-in robe.
The Hawthorne workers cottage renovation client’s requirements:
1. A new bathroom with a separate bath and a new kitchen
2. A new fence with retaining walls to the rear section, to also act as a noise barrier
3. Landscaping to enhance the total appeal of the home
4. A separate fence around the pool, so a recreation garden area is available
5. Solar heating for the pool
6. A deeper double garage to create a workshop space
7. Relocating the main entrance to the property off the side street
8. Internal stairs to a new ground floor level where the fifth bedroom is to be located as a guest room with bathroom and separate laundry
9. A media room/ entertainment room under new pavilion-style extension.
Hawthorne History and Architecture
Hawthorne is about 4 kilometres east of the Brisbane City Centre. As Brisbane grew, Hawthorne’s 1860s farming district was gradually subdivided. Today Hawthorne has many grand old Queenslanders and workers cottages, lovingly restored, renovated and extended. There are also many new luxury homes.
Contact us today to be part of the future architecture of Hawthorne.
Project Number: 050802
Your dream home can become a reality with dion seminara architecture. No matter what sort of building you’re working with or what stage you’re at, our award-winning Brisbane architects will breathe life into your vision and turn it into a stunning design. You are almost home.